The articles are of archaeological, historical and museological interest and are mainly related to the region of Banat, although some deal with Romanian and universal history as well
Jan. 1, 2013
After the Austrian-Turkish war from 1716 – 1717, the Banat province became part of the Austrian Empire with the
status of neoaquistic territory. After a few attempts of temporary administrative-territorial organization, during
1719 – 1720 the Banat province was organized in eleven districts, these being divided into circles (processus).
Between 1766 – 1774 the Military Border from Banat was brought into being and comprised an important
number of localities situated in the southern part of the province. ose localities had a special status being
superintended by the personnel of the Austrian military units from the area.
Between 1774 – 1775 the governor of Banat, Iosif Brigido, tried a reorganization of the province into four
administrative circles, but this organization was annuled in 1778 after the annexation of Banat at the Hungarian
Kingdom. Banat was now organized into three counties: Timiş, Caraş and Torontal. e counties were at their turn
divided into smaller administrative units called processus/járás/plase. is organization lasted till the year 1850,
when Banat entered under Austrian Imperial administration and was included into the new province called Serbian
Vojvodina and Timisan Banat. e former counties from Banat turned into administrative circles which received
the German name of “Kreise” and were divided into smaller units called “Beyirke”. e administrative circles
(Kreise) from Banat were Timişoara, Lugoj and Becicherecu Mare. is administrative-territorial organization
lasted till the abolishment of the Serbian Vojvodina and Timisan Banat province in 1860.
In time, there was a territorial stability of the three counties of circles but the number of their subdivisions
changed and as a consequence also the distribution of the localities within them changed from one stage at another.